5/18/07

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof


"I'm not living with you!
We occupy the same cage, that's all."

3 Stars

I didn't plan to watch so many vintage movies this month, my queue just lined up that way. I do however remember putting this one on it.
My boyfriend gave me a great book by Elizabeth Taylor called My Love Affair with Jewelry. Her stories are so detailed, and through the book I really started to like Liz, and I wanted to see more of her movies. This one is supposed to be a classic so here goes.

A southern family celebrates the homecoming of their wealthy father "Big Daddy" (and they say that name constantly!) played by Burl Ives. Everyone is awaiting the news about his health. If Big Daddy croaks, someones gotta get the money. Brick, played by Paul Newman, who is obviously the favorite son has developed a drinking problem and everyone wants to know why. Including his wife Maggie the Cat, infamously played by Elizabeth Taylor. And Big Daddy's daughter has filled the house with her annoying kids that won't sit still, or shut-up!

I've seen her deliver the line "I feel like a cat on a hot tin roof!" a number of times, so I wasn't too impressed. (That's me with the hype again.) As the movie progressed I realized everyone in this movie feels like that. They just want to jump off!
The film has great monologues from everyone in the family letting it all hang out. I was crackin' up when Big Daddy was yelling at his wife. So funny.

The biggest blow out of the film is between Maggie, Brick, and Big Daddy. When it comes out why Brick is an alcoholic, my view of this movie drastically changed.
After a bad accident, Brick had to give up his career as a pro-football player. Sounds reasonable. But then we find out it's not football he's grieving it's his "best friend" Skipper. He goes on about how no one could ever know how much he cared for him.
I then remembered that this is written by Tennessee Williams. Wasn't he gay? Yup.
I started to watch the film now with the impression that Brick is gay. Very well written.

From the beginning the family is on Maggie's case because she's not pregnant yet. Then, he pours his heart out about his love for Skipper. Maggie complains that Skipper was more important to Brick than her.
When asked by Big Daddy why he drinks Brick answers, "I'm ashamed, Big Daddy. That's why I'm a drunk."

OOOoooo, how rrrandy!!



blog comments powered by Disqus