5/7/07

The Queen


"Because as Prime Minister, I have nothing better to do."

3.5 Stars

For as many great reviews that I heard about this movie, I wasn't too impressed. I don't know what I was expecting, or wanted to see. But perhaps I was too hyped on it. Helen Mirren, no doubt deserved the recognition, and awards she received for this role. She's just perfect!

For that matter the whole cast was great! Michael Sheen is really headed for great things, he did a great job as Tony Blair. As did James Cromwell as Prince Phillip, Alex Jennings as Prince Charles, and Sylvia Syms as The Queen Mum.

I really enjoyed watching the goings on in the palace during the tragedy of Princess Diana, whether it's truth or fiction. The film did showcase the times of change. Sure there has been centuries of protocol and traditions in the monarchy, but when the people change should the rules change as well? That was pretty much the argument throughout.

For me it was really cool to watch a period piece and clearly remember living though it! I remember where I was when I heard she died. I remember watching the funeral service, and I remember watching The Queen's televised statement. I along with the nation, thought that it was cold, and perhaps too little, too late. Yet, because she broke her way of doing things, and what she saw as the correct political stand on the matter, she has been forgiven.

I keep going back and forth whether to give this a higher rating, but honestly it just didn't stick on me. I watched it, and left it. I wasn't even interested enough to watch any featurette on the disc, which for me is a sign to me that I can't give it up. All together it really was a quality film, when watching it you know you're in good hands.

0 comments: