5/18/07

Paper Moon


"Now, eat your Coney Island."

5 Stars

I am really enjoying watching movies that I know absolutely nothing about. When Tatum O'Neil was on Dancing with the Stars last season, E! played her True Hollywood Story, and I got interested. They talked so much about Paper Moon, and how her life changed after the film.
So next day I put it in my Netflix queue, and here it is. No wonder why the country fell in love with this girl. She is so cute, smart, and sneaky, that I had to watch the film twice. I didn't want it to end.

We meet a young girl named Addie (Tatum) whose mother just passed and since she's never known her father the only family she's got left is her aunt who lives in another state. When Moses Pray (Ryan) comes to pay his respects at the funeral he is persuaded to deliver this girl to her aunt. Addie quickly figures out that this man is a con artist, and in her opinion not a very good one. Together they hustle the best of 'em.

There's one scam they pull a couple times, and it took me a some friends of mine a few viewings of it to really see what they were doing. Something like, "Can you change a $5?" turns into, "Look, I've got too many ones, can you just give me a five dollar bill?", turns into "Here, just give me a $10.". In the end, we figured out they make 5 bucks and some change ...I think. But now I'm really watching myself and others when giving out change.

I was also happy to see it was a depression era film. While these two were driving, they passed folks on the side of the road with all of their belongings, or just walking to nowhere with their families. It was like seeing the Joad family from The Grapes of Wrath making a cameo.

This film seemed timeless. It was so well made. I watched all the special features the disc offered. Directed by Peter Bogdanovich, he made good use of long seamless shots. He also made sure that everything in frame was in focus, the heightened depth of field really puts you in the movie.
He had a great antidote about working with Madeline Kahn, who has a role as Trixie Delight.
There is a line where she says, "Why don't you let Miss. Trixie sit up front with her big ole tits?"
Now, according to Bogdanovich during rehearsals she refused to say the word "tits". She just couldn't.
Right before shooting the scene, Bogdanovich whispers to her, "Come on, just say 'tits'.", and she did.
Playing the scene over he said when she chuckles, that's not Trixie that's Madeline. She was genuinely embarrassed that she said it. It's very cute. Funny thing though, later that night I watched History of the World : Part 1, where she deliverers the line, "My tits are falling off!". I guess she got over it.


blog comments powered by Disqus