3/5/07

Don't Move

"Keep me.
Come when you want, once a month, once a year,
but keep me."

3 Stars


I have a personal checklist of movies I want to watch. At the moment I am working through the work of Penelope Cruz. I didn't like her for a long time, but after Blow and Vanilla Sky (The original Spanish version Open Your Eyes is what got her noticed in the states.) I was felt she has true talent. And she does. Number one PC movie Don't Temp Me, and number 10 PC movie Don't move.


The daughter of a top surgeon is admitted to his hospital after what could be a fatal traffic accident. As he waits to hear of his daughters condition he reminisces about his life before he became a father. Married to a gorgeous wife (who I feel really looks like model Adrian Curry), he has a strange affair with an almost unrecognizable Penelope Cruz, Italia.

When his car breaks down in a small town, Italia lets him use her house phone and he rapes her...I think.
Back home he just can't cope with his actions, and returns to Italia to appologize. He rapes her again (?) but this time he pays her! This guys nuts, and so it this movie for trying to portay that these rapes are making her fall in love with this man. Rape --> Prostitution --> Love Affair...? That's how it goes.

Throughout this movie I just kept trying to understand this relationship they have. As the story shakes out he really does love this ugly duckling of a woman. She reminds me of Jerry Blank from Strangers with Candy. Ratty hair with bad highlights, kohl rimmed eyes, a gap in her overbite, a slight uni-brow, and she walks like a man in heels. One scene he takes her to dinner in a fancy hotel. She did her hair, and tried to do her make up better so she'd look nice. She still looked tow-up, but it was endearing. By the end of this movie I was really warmed to this couple.

This movie has one sex scene after another. Oh please. We get it, it's a foreign film! They just love that.
I found it a bit much.

The moral of the story, it's good times till someone gets knocked up.




0 comments: