3/6/07

Saint Ralph




"'The anarchist and the Christian often have a common origin.'
I'm trying to be both."

3.5 Stars

When I decided to start this reviewing thing, I made a personal rule to not use half or three quarter stars. I'm no Ed McMahon, and this ain't no Star Search. But this one was a solid 3.5. The film quality is a 3, but the feeling is a 4! Does that make any sense? Well, it does to me. Let's get to it, shall we...

1953 a 14 year old boy, Ralph is living alone after his father has died, and his mother lay ill in a hospital. She falls into a coma, and the doctors say it would take a miracle to wake her. After some divine intervention from a holy spirit dressed as Santa, he decides that running and winning the Boston Marathon could be the miracle needed to wake his mother, and save him from being an orphan.

He attends a Catholic school for boys, but has a hard time being "pure".
It gets kind of Hallmark-ish when a (hot) priest played by Campbell Scott (How you doing Campbell?) who was a successful marathoner in his day agrees to train him.

This movie grew on me. Not in one sitting, but I found that the next day I was begging my Mom to see it so I could talk to someone about it. She is a runner and I highly recommend this movie to runners, or any sport like minded folks.

Last October I cheered my sister-in-law and her sister as they ran the Nike Marathon for Team in Training, a training program that raises money and awareness for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
It was the most emotional event I ever witnessed. Not only were these marathoners physically drained, but they ran for someone they cared about. That finish line was literally drenched with sweat and tears.
My sister-in-law ran for her dear friend that passed from Leukemia, and my younger "brother-in-law" who passed last July to the same disease at 23. As these runners passed me I yelled "Thank you Team in Training!", because they are doing much more than running. This movie really helped me understand even more how a simple act of running can help someone cope, and have faith in the greater good.
Thanks Aimee, and Carrie.

I ended up watching this movie twice. I'm a sucker for a good redemption story.
Campbell Scott isn't too hard on the eyes either.




0 comments: