3/24/07

Zodiac

"Who better than me?
'The Marked Man.'"

5 Stars

For having no real action scenes, this is one of the most exciting movies I have ever seen! I'm not too into the whole Zodiac phenom, but this movie had two elements that have me saying, "I'm in!".
1. It was shot in the Bay Area.
2. Directed by David Fincher!! Who also did Fight Club, Seven, and The Game which was also shot in the Bay Area.

This film recounts the murders, and the ongoing investigation of the Zodiac killer. Spans about three decades starting in the 60s. Focusing on the SF Chronicle where the Zodiac sent his creepy letters, and the cartoon artist played by Jake Gyllenho, who really wants to solve this case.

Within the first 15 minutes I am in love with Robert Downey Jr.. No one can deliver a line like he can. When he uttered the above quote, I was the only one laughing. Loved it! Also watch for a great scene of him and Gyllenho at the bar for the first time. Hi-larious!

I could feel how much research went into this film. Fincher's use of 911 calls are chilling, and fascinating.
One element I could do without, were the hour by hour text at the bottom of the screen. When you're dealing with years, and years of incidents it doesn't matter how many hours have passed since the last scene.

What a hard job these and other detectives have. I've scene enough Cold Case Files on A&E to know that an unsolved murder can haunt these men forever. Their marriages suffer, and personal relationships as well, and this was truly conveyed in the film.

I saw an interview with Gyllenho on Good Morning America during the press push for the movie. He made the observation that if only these cops just had cellphones the investigation would have gone smoother. As I was watching I realized he's right. Man, we've really become reliant on technology.
There's one scene in particular that three police departments are trying to share information, and since only one department has a "telefax", they have to resort to the good ole post office.

And since majority of the movie is set in the 70s there are some great scenes depicting that too.
A mother is driving along the highway with her newborn in the front seat with no car seat! Good times!

This movie left me wanting to know more about the Zodiac killer, and it left me wanting to smoke really bad too. The call in TV show. Did that really happen? And what was up with the squirrels? (Caution: If you have a genuine fear of squirrels, you may want to close your eyes.) In the end I really believe that he is dead. But it is going around that when you watch the movie at theaters, the Zodiac could be sitting right next to you. So you may want to rent it instead. Just to be safe.






0 comments: