6/2/07

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance


"Be white.
Live white.
Like this."

3 Stars

I was recommended this movie by many outlets, seeing how much I enjoyed the now cult classic Oldboy by the same director Chan-wook Park. If you haven't seen that movie do it now, before the US tries to ruin it.
These movies are part of a revenge trilogy by Park. The last being Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, which I have yet to see. Though nothing, I mean absolutely nothing with compare to Oldboy, I was thrilled to know that there were others just as twisted.

After a 13-year imprisonment for the kidnap and murder of a 6 year old boy, beautiful Lee Guem-ja starts seeking revenge on the man that was really responsible for the boy's death. With the help of fellow inmates and reunited with her daughter, she gets closer and closer to her goal. But will her actions lead to the relief she seeks?

This movie was really slow compered to its ending. When I got to the last half of the movie I thought,
"Now this is the movie I was wanting to watch!". Without giving away too much, Lee captures the man responsible for not only the boy's death, but the death of four other children. She then gathers the parents of each child, and asks what she should do with him. That whole scenario was nail biting.

Not enough gore for me. But I do like the sadism throughout though. To tell you the truth after this film I'm not too excited to see Mr. Vengeance. But it's a trilogy so I'll give it a shot. Let's hope for 2 out of 3.

Plot summary courtesy of IMDb.com.

0 comments: