6/27/07

Shogun Assassin

"Today I will begin walking
the road to hell."

4 Stars

I'm a loyal fan of Quentin Tarantino. I've seen his films many times over with and without commentary. With special features now available on DVDs, I get to know Quentin and his work in depth.
To learn more about his filming style I watch films that are a great influence to him. For example the movie Blowout by Brian De Palma influenced him a great deal making De Palma his favorite director.
Revisit Scarface and you will see what I mean. I hope.

My purpose for watching this film comes from my heavy summer viewings of Kill Bill Vol. II (Vol. I is best at the end of winter.). In it, as The Bride puts her daughter to bed, they cuddle and watch Shogun Assassin. From watching KBII so many times, I had the beginning dialogue of Shogun already memorized!

Going into this one I really didn't think I would last 15 minutes. I'm not a huge Kung-Fu movie fan, and know little about the genera. I tend to get bored with them, but this one was cool! Released in 1980 this movie hold up as an honest classic.

This story is but one of the many Lonewolf and Cub revenge series. A great warrior (Lonewolf) looses his wife by the blades of the Shogun's ninjas. This warrior is the only man the Shogun fears, and will stop at nothing to see him, and his infant son dead.
But you can't stop The Wolf!

The kid is adorable, the music is rad, and the whole film is framed and shot like a comic book! Okay, graphic novel. My favorite shots are of the Shogun. Yellowish nasty hair, against blue blue sky, and lit with what looks like a flood light. Awesome.
The fight scenes aren't elaborate, but again comic book fights aren't either. It's more about the facial anguish, and carnage. Ears, noses, and limbs are lopped off and bright red blood ridiculously sprays out of people, but it works!

When watching these particular chosen movies, I am looking for their impact on Quentin's work. I'm pretty sure he used this film as a template of sorts for Sin City.
Don't get me wrong, I don't love everything Tarantino related. I saw Blowout, and it blew. After seeing this one, I would love to tell QT,
I get it.

0 comments: