6/18/07

Nanny McPhee


"I did knock."

3.5 Stars

After the particularly hard day I had, it was great to come home and have a movie like this waiting for me. Bright colors, magic, and fantasy. The movie was 3.5 but the timing was 5.

The film's plot and title are based on the popular Nurse Matilda books by British author Christianna Brand. And you can really tell is an adaptation of some sort, but in a good way! Very fairytale like, loved it.

This is the story of Mr. Brown (Colin Firth) and his seven children who have recently lost their "mum".
I was happy to see the kid from Love Actually was in this too, Thomas Sangster as the eldest child Simon. He looks like a Jack Russel Terrier, I just want to paint his nose black.

Since their mother's passing they have been so rowdy, that Mr. Brown has gone through every nanny in town. Until one evening a horrible looking woman is at the door named Nanny McPhee (Emma Thompson), and claims she can help. The quick flashes of her appearance are so funny. Her bulbous nose (cut to) - her uni brow (cut to) - her warts (cut to) - her snaggle tooth! Good for Emma.

Keeping his family financially afloat is his Great Aunt Adelaide (Angela Lansbury). Where under her terms, Mr. Brown must re-marry within a month or he will be cut off. Yikes.
But as it goes, the love he was looking for was right in front of him the whole time. Sigh...
I know it's a bit predictable, but I needed that right then.

Thank you Nanny McPhee, for making us laugh at love. Again. <-- That kills me!! :)

0 comments: