4/26/07

Men of Honor


"Goddammit Cookie, move your ass,
I want my TWELVE!"

5 Stars

I love this movie! I've seen it so many times, and it moves me to tears of inspiration every single time I see it. Why haven't I bought this one yet?

The true story of, Carl Brashear played by Cuba Gooding Jr., a black man from rural Kentucky wants more than anything to join the Navy in the early 1950's. At that time black solders were only allowed to cook, but by breaking the rules to show his talent as a swimmer, he was able to get the attention of the upper class men and got the job of a rescue swimmer. With time and a little help from his friends, he was able to enter and graduate from the U.S. Navy Diving and Salvage School to become a diver in the U.S. Navy.

During his training under the instruciton of Leslie Suday, played to perfection by Bobby D., he had to fight through the prejudice of the day over and over again. He was part of the first integrated class to graduate from diving school.
This man's story is just so amazing, I apologize if I'm rambling. I just get so excited about this film.

His ultimate goal is to become a Master Diver. In the 50's their diving suits were the Mark 4. They always remind me of the opening sequence of the Scoopy Doo cartoons. All together the suit weighed 190 pounds. It's thick, heavy, bulky, and the diver has such limited visibility. I don't know how they got anything done in those! Watching this I always sigh and am thankful how far we have come in modern technology. New suits, and gear make this job so much safer for these men and women.

After much success as a diver in the Navy, he then looses his leg! And he still is determined to become a Master Diver. This is the best montage scene ever. I just noticed the song playing this time while he was training. "I Wish It Would Rain" by the Temptaions. The words to this song as he's working, and breaking his body is powerful. ....Chills.

Not only was Brashear the first African-American Navy Master Diver, but he was also the first amputee diver certified or recertified as a U.S. Navy diver.

You've got to be made of stone if this movie does not move, or inspire you to do great things. Carl Brashear wasn't trying to make history as a black man who who was the first, but simply a man who was the best.



0 comments: