4/19/07

Babel


"My mom says Mexico is dangerous."
"Yeah, it's full of Mexicans."

5 Stars

How fortunate have I been lately to have seen two 5 Star movies so far this month! I was so wrong about this movie. From the previews I thought this was some political terrorism movie. No way. This film is deep.

When an American couple (Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett) vacationing in Morocco fall victim to a random act of violence, a series of events unfolds across four countries that demonstrates both the necessity and impossibility of human communication. Director Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu artfully weaves together three seemingly disparate stories of strangers in strange lands.

Why the hell do people go to these third world countries to "vacation". Blanchett's character is ripped right out of a Ralph Lauren ad, and in the Moroccan desert is slathering Purel on her hands after touching anything. After being shot on their tour bus she is forced to seek some frontier medicine from the local medicine man who sews her up with a rusty needle and hands black with days of caked on dirt. This scene is awsome.

The story of the two young boys of a poor goat herding family is nail biting as well. These two boys get a hold of a gun, and treat it like a toy, until real life consequences change their ways. The boys will be boys thing reminds me of stories my boyfriend tells me about him and his brothers doing bad things, then getting into trouble, and soon trying to get back out of trouble. A real brother thing.

We then meet an angst Japanese teenager who needs just a molecule of attention. She feels her handicap isolates her terribly, along with the frustrations of being a teenage girl anyway I could just feel this girls dark, dark hurt. Very well done.
Great scene of her going to a nightclub with friends. Really puts you in her shoes.

Nobody told me Gael Garcia Bernal was in this movie! And why not, he's been in half of all Alejandro's films. This director knows, and shows real Mexican culture. The Nanny/Housekeeper for the traveling couple in Morocco takes their children across the border to attend her son's wedding. Talk about culture shock. It was nice to see a blond haired blue eyed little girl who wasn't Dakota Fanning for once.
Hecka Mexican scene : the kids are at someones place in Mexico, and their entertainment? "Go chase the chickens!"

I found a running theme in this movie : invitation into homes. Or at least the places people call home. A tour guide on the bus in which Blanchett's character is shot says, "I will take you to my town." and invites her and her husband in his home to "heal". The children of this couple are taken out of their home, and invited into their nanny's family home. In the home of the Japanese student lies the nucleus of her pain, and she invites a detective into her home, hoping he may show her love. The goat herders invited a gun into their home, and changed the course of all these character's lives.

I really was never going to see this movie. Yet, after a couple people whose suggestions I really trust told me I absolutely had to see this movie, I did. It's unfortunate that the previews were so misleading. If you too aren't sure about seeing it, you've just got to try it. Now I sound like them.

0 comments: