4/18/07

Brick



"I've got all five senses and I slept last night, that puts me six up on the lot of you."

3.5 Stars

I had this movie for weeks and I just couldn't get to it. There it was with my mail day in and day out. It has been on my list for months, so I knew I wanted to watch it. I'm glad I finally sat down, took my time, and dove into this strange story.

This unconventional film noir -- set in the halls of a modern-day high school -- marks a promising debut for writer-director Rian Johnson. Teenage loner Brendan Fry (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is forced to navigate his school's social network when a secret crush turns up dead and the murderer is any one's guess. Through intense interactions with thespians, band geeks and druggies (including a grown-up Lucass Hass), Brendan works to crack the cliques --and the case.

I have had such a crush on Gordon-Levitt ever since he played an aging alien trapped in a 12 year-old's body on tv's Third Rock from the Sun. My has he grown. He's grown into a mini Keanu Reeves. In this film he takes on a look that really looks like my boyfriend when I first met him! My mom thoroughly agrees.

But enough about the men, how bout the movie? Whelp, it was kind of hard to follow. The "inside" lingo is confusing, but I sat back and put full trust in the movie. After all this disc has been staring me down for weeks resulting in my own guilt trip, so I wasn't about to throw it out so fast. I'm glad I didn't.

I had a hard time figuring out if these kids were in high school or in college. I guessed it was high school, the letterman jackets gave me a hint, but it's just strange. It really reminded me of Twin Peaks. A high school couple involved in some heavy situations, involving other tragic characters. I'll bet this budding director is a big David Lynch fan. I loved his concepts, though. It was as if you put Lynch in a washing machine and it shrunk. It's not as great as it was, but it's still the same piece with a new shape. Did that many any sense?

One things for sure this director Rian Johnson is really into shoes. Lots of shoe close-ups, and shoe sounds. Shoe details, and even a shoe scene! Shoes.

I still wouldn't recommend it to people unless you seen the previews and really want to see it. I just couldn't put it at 4 stars, because it took some work to follow what was happening. It did get clearer as the movie progressed. Also, I could feel where Johnson was going with his concepts in the film, along with some particular shots (The Pin at his desk in his the den. Low ceiling, bad wood paneling, desk,lamp, eagle sculpture, and tiki god. Really cool shot.), but I just don't think he pulled the whole thing off. Lucas Hass, and my Joseph Gordon-Levitt were great. Where as everyone else I feel was really miscast. Too bad.
But I do feel that Rian Johnson will just get better. A great first film effort.

Plot summary courtesy of Netflix

0 comments: