12/31/07

The Proposition


"'Is that what we are? Misanthropes.'
'Lord no. We're a family.'"


4 Stars

First things first. I was already a player for this movie. Ausi western, okay. But then in the beginning credits I see that the music is by Nick Cave, of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. Awesome. Then I see that the screenplay is by Nick as well! Extra awesome!
Who knew?
After watching the behind the scenes feature, turns out the director, John Hillcoat, is a close friend of Nick. After a camping trip in the Australian dessert (I know right?) John knew he had to make a movie, any movie using this beautiful land.
He first asked Cave to score the music, then asked him to write a screenplay. He says he's always loved Cave's storytelling in his music and knew he could do it for film, and wow, he was right.

Set in the late nineteenth century on rural Australian land, two brothers are captured and questioned on the whereabouts of their eldest brother, Arthur Burns. After a brutal attack of the Hopkins farm, and rape of the pregnant Mrs. Hopkins by Arthur and his gang, the town needs justice. If they can't have Arthur they will have his younger brother Mark instead. The proposition being, middle brother Charlie must find his brother Arthur in nine days, or his younger brother will hang in his place.

Throughout the film I just felt Charlies weight of having to choose one brother's life over the other. What a terrible problem to solve. What he did was right, blood or not.

I really liked the pace of this movie. It had a good rhythm like a metronome. Cave said he'd hoped the film "would generate periods of intense violence followed by periods of intense sadness and loneliness." Perfectly put.

Also a great cast. Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, John Hurt who is one of the greatest character actors around. And Danny Houston son of John and half brother to Anjelica.
I've seen him in so many roles and I really like him, he's a great actor.

This movie has gore and grit, and one of my favorite elements to a good period piece,
bad teeth!!
When I'm watching a real gritty movie and I see the actors with these bright flossed and polished teeth, it pulls me right out of the film.
Thanks for the detail.


0 comments: