12/19/07

Lies and Alibis

"The only absolute, air tight alibi...
is death."

4 Stars

Elliot runs a business that covers people while they cheat, by rerouting phone calls, faking meetings and making sure their ignorant spouse never finds out.

Elliot is played by Steve Coogan whom I can never look at the same after knowing he was banging Courtney Love for a long time, and is said to be the one who introduced the recently suicidal Owen Wilson to heroin. But, in all fairness..., he really is charming.

He hires as new gal Lola played by Rabecca Romijn to take on some of his accounts.
Her new hubby Jerry O'Connell is in this too, but no scenes together. Now, being a huge Howard Stern fan, I know that Rabecca is/was a huge friend of the show. She may not be the best actress, but I wish her the best and this role was just right for her. They showed just enough of her, and she didn't have to do any embarrassing drama scenes. Another thing, this girl is huge! She towers over Coogan, and I'm really glad to see the wardrobe department didn't skip on putting her in heels. Paint it red, right?

A new client accidentally kills the chick he's having an affair with, and soon Elliot makes the choice to break his own ethic code and becomes an alibi to a crime.
Meanwhile a group of hit men are out to kill his former boss Jack to the tune of 5 mil (very a la Smokin' Aces, but I loved that movie too). One hit man "The Mormon" wants to use Elliot's alibi skills to help cover his tracks while he hunts Jack down, and the boyfriend of the dead girl wants revenge.
I may sound cheese, and it probably is, but it was fun.

There are a ton of people in this movie too! Selma Blair, James Marsden. James Brolin who plays a rich man who bangs young girls but doesn't divorce his wife cause she's the rich one. How much research do you think went into that role? Henry Rollins, I love seeing him work. Sam Elliot, he can do no wrong in my book, and he worked that hair!
It was also cool to see Debi Mazar play a straight role as a cop. Since she's so unique looking I think casting puts her in more character like roles. And John Leguizamo?!
I really think he's a sucky actor, but thank god the was only in this for a minute.
Anymore than that I think my eyes would be soar from rolling them for an hour and a half.

Also a pawnshop scene!! Though a quick one, it was funny.
"I need a piece."

"A piece of what?"

"A piece! A- A gun!"


"Why didn't you say so? Here you go Snoop Dog."

I'm so glad we don't sell guns anymore.

So the movie builds up to this great climax of everyone looking to Elliot to smooth over their problems.
Solve a murder, find Jack, keep thugs from going to jail, and some how there's a shit load of cash involved.
But I don't care, it was so much fun!
I would totally recommend this movie for just some mindless, witty, good times.

0 comments: