9/18/07

Puppy

"Don't work yourself up,
no ones dead.
You're psycho I'm just fuckin' with you."

3.5 Stars



I don't think I would confidently recommend this to others, but personally I thought it was pretty good.

The beginning goes by so fast as if the director just wanted to get the back story out of the way. But he could have started it where he want to with the lead character Lizzie trying to kill herself, with the ole hose from the tailpipe routine, only to be saved by a nearby tow truck driver Aiden. When she wakes, she's tied to a bed and Aiden that is convinced she is Helen, his absent wife. In a hostage situation much like Misery, Aiden keeps Lizzie confined to the house as she plays the roll of Helen.

I love Lizzie's fast thinking through the whole ordeal. Situations movies like this make me think of my mom's quick thinking in her hold-up years ago. Lizzie's wits save her day to day, as Aiden's schizophrenia worsens. Soon the film takes a turn I may have predicted ...or maybe not. I don't know.

In odd scenes I found myself really laughing! I've read in different places that Puppy is a black comedy, but I didn't feel it was so easy to spot. Hey, all I know is when I see someone get hit in the head by a shovel, I'm laughing.

0 comments: