7/30/07

The King


"We're going to hell."

3 Stars

Eh.. I guess I was just expecting more. The previews of this really looked along the lines of Down in the Valley. The difference being that this movie lacked passion, because the story just didn't let you in on it.

After serving time in the Navy, 21 year old Elvis (Gael Garcia Bernal) decides to look up the father (William Hurt) that abandoned him as a child, only to find him working as a small town pastor with a new wife, and two teenage children. While his father is unwilling to disrupt his life to reconcile with his son, Elvis refuses to be ignored, taking drastic measures to insert himself into the family.

Well that's what the jacket says. I didn't get that too clearly. From the beginning I wasn't really sure of the relationship between Elvis and the pastor, but it seemed like they were father and son. And if so, is he really hooking up with his sister?! Elvis really feels like he has some sort of motive for everything he's doing, but I just wasn't able to see what. I can only assume it was payback.

Bernal is such a great actor. Is it just me or have you noticed that in most films starring Bernal they waste no time getting him in a sex scene. And lots of 'em. What sign is he?
Also in this movie is that silent guy from Little Miss Sunshine. He's a little intense actor too. During the last World Series of Pop Culture I lost a question that had his name in it. So just in case you find yourself in the same situation his name is Paul Dano.
Impress your friends.



0 comments: