2/7/07

Audition


"Words create lies.
Pain can be trusted."


4 STARS

Takashi Miike is one of my favorite directors. If I hear his name connected with something, I get antsy to see it. He's done some great work. The super cool Ichi the Killer, an unforgettable short in Three Extremes, and the off the hook movie Visitor Q. Which by the way is not a movie for the squeamish. A trait that I love about Miike. I usually don't go for gore and such but the spooky, quiet, and surreal way he presents it....chills. I like to think of him as a Japanese David Lynch.

The DVD menu on Audition alone is scary. I had to start the movie real quick so I could get passed the menu.

A father of a young son looses his wife to an illness and years later his son thinks it's time for his father to remarry. Nervous about dating, his friend who is in a casting business, suggests that they hold an audition for a fake movie to find him a new wife. Of course it works, and for a while this movie is a cute romantic comedy of sorts. I started to think, "Maybe this is a new type of movie for Miike.", but I keep seeing the poster image and know that somethings going to change.

As this story unfolds I was telling him, "Just go home, dude." But they never listen.
At times I was holding my breath, and I even had to cover my eyes! At the same time peeking through my fingers. Why is that? During the out of control dream sequence, I thought that Hostel should have taken some notes from this movie. Then I remembered that Takashi Miike had a cameo in Hostel!
I guess he tried to help as much as he could. If you see Hostel, he an older Asian man with bleached hair.
I think he even has a line. Fun!

I'm slowly working down the list of Miike's work and every time it is a true experience. You really have to be prepared to watch a Miike movie. It's not easy. I guarantee you will be shocked.
You will say "I can't believe I'm watching this." I do. Then I can't wait to watch the next one.

0 comments: