2/27/07

Big


"I wish I were...big."

3 Stars

An oldie but a goodie. After watching that POS movie Storytelling I found Big on On Demand and it was just perfect. A great sick movie. Even though it's an 80's classic (1988) it still holds up! The clothes may be a little dated, but everything else it pretty timeless.

It was also great to Hanks before he became Mr. Serious. I would love to see him do a comedy again.
I think America misses that cute, charming Hanks.
I was impressed with Hanks all over again. His posture, and fidgeting was perfect.
Great scene : Josh's first night in New York City in a shitty motel. He hears a man yelling in Spanish to someone on the phone. We watch as this kid in a man's body shrinks into himself as he sits in a chair staring at the door so scared. Great acting.

If you grew up watching this movie like I did, you know you get the heebies when you pass one of those fortune teller boxes in an arcade. Do you check if it's plugged in? I do.

I wondered what happened to these kids. I looked up the actor David Moscow who played the young Josh. He's gotten a lot of work. He's currently working on the movie Bull Run. He looks good.
Jared Rushton who played the redheaded friend Billy. He kind of disappeared in the mid 90s after Honey I Shrunk the Kids. As for Elizabeth Perkins who played Josh's love interest, she's had a great career including 2 Golden Globe nomiations. Currently she's starring in the Showtime series Weeds. She still looks great.

There's much to be said about the 3 Star movie. It may not the best, but not the worst movie. There's a great comfort in them like mashed potatoes. They are the movies I reach for when my nose is running, and I just want to feel good. Don't forget these movie gems. It's fun to sit and revisit them once in a while.

0 comments: